Delighted to be conducting a workshop at the Colour Circle here in Hobart on Saturday 11 May on Pet Portraits in Pastel. I have been doing pet portraits for over ten years now, initially for family and friends as gifts.
This course/workshop will cover the basics of a pet portrait (primarily cats and dogs) particularly bringing an image or drawing to life with colour, detail and dimension:
- Choosing your picture and composition;
- Choosing your pastels (special animal sets and pencils v sticks) and paper type (velour, pastelmat, pastelboard, Colourfix and other papers – or making your own!) and colour;
- Importance of close observation;
- How to progress your portrait – colours, dark to light, when to do the background;
- Backgrounds – including using Pan Pastels – avoiding the “cut out” look;
- Light and light/shade pattern: light side, shadow side, cast shadow and reflected light;
- Capturing expression and mood!;
- Getting the important details right: ears, nose, mouth and eyes – paws, whiskers and tails!!;
- Getting fur or feathers right! – nap of fur, directional movement and texture etc.;
- Fixing any mistakes – Colourfix pastels in background colours;
- Setting aside and the final touches – highlights in the eyes, shadows, to fix or not to fix?;
- Protecting your portrait;
- Ongoing learning and useful pet portrait/animal artists to follow.
Details of the workshop are soon to be circulated to Colour Circle members. The workshops are also open to non-members. Capacity is limited so if you are interested, please book soon! Contact me on 0477298661 if you would like to attend. The cost of such workshops is usually around $30 to $40.